I never want to experience the last couple of hours I've had in my life again altho I'm sure I will relive it many times over in my mind.

I was driving home from work and I was about a block away from my home when I saw a little critter dart out onto the road. I wasn't sure if it had made it across and so I parked the car quickly at home and ran inside and got Neal and asked if he'd come and help me, trying to explain as much as possible what just happened. For what ever reason I grabbed a towel and brought it with me. What I saw was a sweet little dog who's life was over still at the side of the road. I just couldn't leave him there and so Neal wrapped him in the towel and picked him up and brought him to the sidewalk. We took his tag off, his name was Joker, and called the phone number, but just got an answering machine.

We waited awhile, but Neal needed to gather up the kids and get them home and he needed to get to his appointment for his back. I waited with my cell phone in one hand and the dog tag in the other for a call. About a half an hour later I got that call back from Joker's mom. She started out by laughing and asking where he was now, he always seemed to get out. He was not close to home, and so I said I was so sorry but I didn't have good news for her. The line was silent for a little while and then I asked her if she was ok and what did she want me to do. She asked where I was and so I waited for her.

When she arrived she started walking very slowly towards me and she was already crying. I had already been, and so I'm sure I didn't help. I gave her a big hug and asked her what she wanted me to do, and that I wasn't sure if she wanted to see him like this. She said she needed to and then we cried together some more standing over him.

She told me a little about him and she said she needed to take him home, and she tried picking him up, but she just couldn't do it. I put him in her car for her and she said that he loved to run down by the river and splash in the water, and so that was where his final resting spot would be. She thanked me and we hugged and cried together a little more.

I'm home now, I told my Dixie-girl's daddy in Omaha to please give her some extra hugs and kisses from me tonite and tell her that I missed her.

Good nite sweet Joker.

Peace and Luv,

6 comments :

stampin'hokie said...

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I also want to say THANK you for doing the right thing. There are so many people out there that would not have bothered to make the phone call. What a compassionate person you are!

shawn said...

OH, I am crying too! That is just so sad.. It's hard for anyone, but I am sure that since you don't have your little Girl with you, it was even harder..
I am sure that God sent you to be in that spot for a reason...

Elena said...

I can't believe it happenned... Very-very sad...

Carol Dee said...

Sweet Jeannie
I am so sorry you went through this. You are such a kind person. Joker's Mommy must have been very sad, but also glad to have someone call her when it happened. So often you see those poor little ones at the side of the road with no one to care. And it always helps to have someone to greive (sp?) with you.
Hugs 'n Love

Jami {sgtStamper} said...

Oh my, how terribly sad. She was lucky it was you who found him, most people would just have kept driving.
hugs, Jami

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh fun, love Bella.

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs